CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sep 25, 2009

We did it!

Today I had my first mammogram. I had prepared myself for a long waiting room wait, as is usual in this town... but I was out of there in there in 30 minutes. So now that's done and I've hit another mark of the aged... later in the afternoon I got a new haircut that apparently makes me look ten years younger.

We also had another first tonight. Lala went peepee in the potty!!! She was a little freaked out about it to be honest. Is she ready? I think I've given up on finding a definitive sign. Suffice to say that she really likes sitting on the potty, wiping and flushing the toilet, so what the heck. If she doesn't really want to do it, she won't. Tonight she sat on the new pink potty for nearly an hour. Apparently, it's very comfortable, especially with mommy sitting next to you reading story after story. Anyways, I was about to give up - actually, I did give up because it was bed time - and was in the bathroom starting the good night routine when Lala suddenly stood up and say "ahhhh!" while peeing. She is still shocked by the construct of peeing. I sat her back down, trying to keep her calm and not get upset by the pool of pee surrounding her. She was really thirsty today and had several cups of water and milk, so when I say pool, I mean pool.

After we got everything cleaned up, I grabbed the camera. I wish I could post the photo of her proud "big girl" smile. Hopefully, tomorrow it will be just as cool to peepee in the potty.

2 Talk To Me!:

K

I start them around 12-14 months when they know what they are doing but it's not a weapon. What I mean by that is they see it was a part of life like eating and sleeping - just no big deal. I never ask if they need to go, I say, "Okay, time to go potty," and put them on. If they wet, I say, "Uh oh, you peed your pants. don't do that. When you feel the pee ready to come, sit on the potty and then let it come out." They also get one single baby marshmallow for a pee and two for a poo, no exceptions - ever - nothing for effort that doesn't result in something in the potty.

Worldwide, the average age of being out of diapers is actually 12-18 months and I've found this to be the perfect age. Start around 12 months, end up in underpants by 20 months. But I find I have to tell them to go until about 24 months when they magically anticipate and tell me they have to go. This has worked with boys and girls equally well, even those I started at 18 months vs. 12 months.

Set your timer for every 30 minutes if you need a reminder to get her on the potty.

K

Oh, and use two pairs of training pants. They feel really wet when they have an accident, but it usually doesn't puddle hugely. And shoes, washable ones so that when the pee trickles down her leg, it will go into the shoe and not onto the floor, unless you don't have carpet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails