CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sep 20, 2009

What she can do now

This morning, while putting Lala into her car seat, it suddenly dawned on me how much she's changed in just the few months she's been with me. It's kind of amazing, when I think about it.

  • She now knows many animal names and can tell you what they sound like.
  • She definitely knows "ABCD" and will join in at various points if someone is singing the ABC song.
  • Knows to say "please" and "thank you"
  • Can flush the potty and is not scare of it!
  • Can identify body parts in English and French
  • Can go down a slide by herself
  • Knows the difference between "river", "harbor" and "ocean"
  • Knows the difference between "bus" and "camper" (large RV)... yah, we live near a resort area.
  • Knows what a hamper is and will put her dirty clothes in it.
  • Will attempt to clean up anything she spills by herself.
  • Can get undressed by herself.
  • learned how to whisper when the baby is asleep
  • knows that shoes have a right way and a wrong way - the wrong way feels yucky
  • If the baby wanders too far down the hall during church, she will go find him and lead him back.
  • Will fold her arms when told it's time for the prayer
  • wants to brush her teeth every night

We're still working on vocabulary, coloring and few other things. It still stuns me on somethings she's apparently never heard of - that look of utter confusion. Like "cow" or "chicken" or "prayer" (didn't her bm tell the SW that they went to church twice a week?) And potty training is looming. She loves to flush the toilet. She likes to run around without a diaper on. She'll even sit on the toilet, purely at her own request. But she has yet to actually use the toilet for it's designated purpose. Yesterday we tried on a pair of "big girl panties" (just to see what it felt like) and she hated them. I don't know if it was because they hadn't been washed (fresh out of the package) or if she had to actually pee and decided that they weren't a diaper. Right after that She asked for a diaper to be put on.

I think the whole potty training conundrum on my part stems from a whole behavior conundrum. I spend a significant amount of time trying to figure out what is normal two year old behavior and what is adjustment behavior. We're averaging at least two temper tantrums a night... which is pretty typical for a two year old. One is always because the baby gets a bottle before going to bed, but she has to stop drinking at 6pm. Otherwise her diaper will leak in the middle of night... believe me, I've tried them all. I'm sure from her point of view, the baby is getting something she's not. However, in a regular family situation the siblings just have to get over it. Lala has only been the older sibling not even for two months. I can't get all logical with a two year old, but neither can I convince her that anything that big girls get is better at that moment. So is the tantrum stemming from a recent past where scarcity of food may have been an issue? Or is it due to usual two year old logic that "everything is mine and noone gets anything I don't get first, because it's all mine?" It's all a learning process, isn't it?

2 Talk To Me!:

~Kimberly

I tried (without success) to potty train Nora from the time she got home until she was almost 3 years old. She used the potty chair reliably at home, when running around without her diaper. Unfortunately, she had accidents every time when wearing underwear. So I gave up. Then, just before her third birthday, she said "I don't want a diaper anymore." And that was that. One accident in the past 8 months! I think 2, or even 2 1/2 is early for a lot of kids. And the pediatrician told me that 50% of kids train instantly, and the other half don't quite get it for a while and have lots of accidents. Maybe Lala isn't ready. You are amazing, though, for managing two little ones on your own! I'm in awe. I can barely manage Nora and it's two on one at our house (well, plus the three dogs). :-)

~Kimberly

P.S. Case in point: Nora just stuck a piece of paper up her nose.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails