Getting back to work after Spring Break has been exhausting. I don't know if it is jump back into the swing of things or the annual rush to squeeze everything in while simultaneously planning for next year... but I've been hitting the pillow about 5 minutes after the kids are in bed!
What have we been doing?
- construction on the new pantry took about four days longer than planned. This meant that I've really had no time to paint or put up the shelves. For now it's a pantry, with primed walls and an old shelving unit inside. That will have to hold for awhile.
- the blackboard for Lala's room is nearly finished - hopefully this weekend I will get the frame painted and photos up. She already loves it!
- it rained and poured all break so I got nothing done in the garden. I now have dandelions everywhere.
- I found out that my job is safe for next year, but just barely. In reality, I could still be laid off, since the legislature won't make up it's mind.
- our town is getting a $400,000 "spray park". I'm a tad annoyed as we have about three actual days a year when this could be used. An indoor gym open on the weekends would be a much better use of funding - or my friend keeping her job. Plus there is already a spray park in the next town over. And by "next over" I mean, the border between is a street. Our government is run by such narrow-minded competitive morons.
- my taxes are completed and will be mailed out today. I will then begin my haunt of my bank account watching for the money or will begin a couple of weeks. I have to submit by regular mail because of the finalization of the adoption and it will probably be reviewed pretty closely will the sudden adding of two children and the refund being more than I paid in. That adoption tax credit is the bomb!
- It's been sunny for the past two days! The kids are loving playing outside. Pray for a nice summer. We've had such crappy ones for the last three years.
Today we had our annual tsunami drill. During the discussion, we were informed that we needed to make plans to stay with our students for at least three days, if need be, and trust that our own children would be taken care by whoever they were with for those days. Talk about going above and beyond... kinda gives a new perspective to that "teachers are greedy parasites on our society" argument. How much are you willing to pay to know that your child will be taken care of in a disaster if you couldn't reach them? I'll be having a chat with the daycare manager today. I'm certainly not willing to leave it up to hoping for the best - which I think most of people do.

4 Talk To Me!:
Just a quick hint about the Adoption tax Credit. You will probably get your regular refund quickly, but any funds from the adoption tax credit, you are looking at 2-6 months. I submitted mine beginning of February and I am being told as of yesterday it will come anywhere from 45 days to sometime in June.
Who says teachers are greedy parasites? I don't think they would work for such abysmal pay if they were greedy.
We got our tax credit promptly. Friends who also adopted got a request for more documentation. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the way the Feds work. Hope you get yours quickly. Contests on filing a week before the deadline! No stress on the 15th!
I'll just have to wait and see on the tax refund. I've only ever had my taxes "done" for me once... and that was by a former boss. It was mailed and hopefully it will be fine. To be honest, I probably won't have time to actually spend the money until June anyways! :)
The national media/politicians would have the public believe that teachers are lazy, greedy parasites who want to be paid millions for "babysitting" kids. We're all dragging the country down into financial insolvency with our demands for health insurance and pension funds.
Teachers never get enough credit, or pay. If it were up to me they'd be at the top of the wage scale. Hope you guys have great summer weather too.
Post a Comment