CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Jul 5, 2011

Riding a bike

What age is best for riding a bike? It seems like kids are getting them younger and younger these days – and they’re made smaller and smaller.

I mentioned before that the cuddler was receiving a bike for his birthday. My mother purchased one for Lala last week and so I gave the kids the bikes yesterday. I figured that they would be able to get more use out them if they had them at the beginning of summer, and we could avoid the whole ‘birthday present jealousy’ thing. Also, I apparently have patience issues.

While both were excited to see the bikes, that wore off pretty soon. Apparently watching others ride a bike is not as easy as riding it yourself. Learning how to ride a bike is not as easy as “riding a bike”, apparently.

Any tips on teaching them? Both have training wheels so balance isn’t an issue… just getting the concept of pushing the pedals forward to move the bike forward. Maybe they’re just too young? I don’t think I got a bike until I was in grade school, which is when most of my friends seemed to get them as well.

2 Talk To Me!:

Tara dS

Tino is four and has a bike. He is getting better at riding it. At first he couldn't pedal either but I just helped him by putting my hands on his feet and showing him how to apply pressure to get himself going. I think also part of the problem is that he doesn't have a lot of leg strength to pedal up even a mild incline, so I look for places with a gentle downhill slope. He does love it though.

In general, I find that sometimes certain things are beyond their ability or interest level, but they end up growing into them. Good luck.

Sonja

The crazy thing nowadays is all the different sizes of bikes. Seems you have to get them a new bike every couple of years so someone doesn't say, "Oh dear, that bike's too small/large for them." When we were growing up we just got a Schwinn when we were kids and MAYBE a 10-speed when we were teens.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails