Lala is really into pretend play these days. I want to encourage this, as it gives me some free time to pee solo while the TV isn’t on, so I’ve been perusing play kitchens online. She plays with one at church and seems quite happy with it.
Have you priced play kitchens lately? Almost all start over one hundred dollars! That’s without utensils. Now, I love Lala… but $100 for a first holiday present? I thought she’d be at least nine before this happened. Heck, she hasn’t even discovered American Girl yet.
There is one that is quite reasonable in price, but apparently the reason for the low price is that you have to finish the manufacturing process. Not just assembly, but also cutting the pieces out of the plastic. According the hundreds of reviews online, it takes at least four hours to assemble, a wire cutter, razor knife and several different sandpaper grits. I’d like to think that I’m handy… but four hours of assembly on Christmas Eve? My plans were more like cookies, hot cocoa and a movie that included my Christmas wish… a really hot guy.
I’m thinking that I might go to Home Depot and purchase a short cabinet upon which I’ll paint kitchen like things. You know, burners and a fake window. Does that sound cheap?

4 Talk To Me!:
I bought Nora a play kitchen online last year for $99 (including shipping). It is quite small and came with all the utensils, some food, and a few pans. I can send you a picture if you want, or I'm sure you can find a picture of it on my blog somewhere. Costco also has some great pretend food. I'm sorry about the dog! I agree that the best plan is to find another home for him. :-(
Oh, and I forgot to add that everything in the kitchen is made of wood.
major assembly required, sounds familiar... that is the kitchen we got Meechi last year. Well, you mentioned sanding, so I am thinking the one you saw is made of wood. We found an inexpensive plastic variety kitchen and it was a lot of work to assemble. And yes, that included cutting out all the pieces to begin with. I was lucky in that Meechi is my husband's first child and he foolishly volunteered to do it all himself. Hahaha! Since I have 2 older children, I've been down that road before and know better.
I actually love your idea of getting a cabinet and painting kitchen features on it yourself. I am thinking of stealing the idea in order to add onto Meechi's kitchen (we're thinking restaurant now). I think I will search the local Goodwill and DAV stores for a decent cabinet though. Great idea you had!
No, the sanding was a plastic kitchen. From the reports I read, it basically came as sheets of plastic with the various parts imprinted on the plastic.
The reviews will full of tips on how to "cut" the pieces of out and how to minimize the sharp plastic edges.
Post a Comment