CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Nov 25, 2009

What Time Do I Put The Turkey In?

j0443829 For some reason, I’m really excited about cooking Thanksgiving dinner. All the work and planning, and I can’t wait. I’m guessing it’s because I get to chose what to make… you know, the great stuffing debate and all that. My stepmother loves to cook – and don’t get me wrong, she is a great cook – but holidays are not times for experimentation. I’m a traditionalist. To me, holidays are about connecting to your family and your history.

That means we have oyster stuffing, sit on the ‘davenport’ and talk or play games. We don’t watch TV because it’s rude (although given that it’s just us, we may watch the parade). There will be a jell-o salad. If we were at ‘ol homestead, we’d probably be sledding at some point and hoping that there is “store-bought” milk somewhere. And darn it, I think it’s important for kids to have that consistency, so my kids are eating the same Thanksgiving dinner I ate, that my mother ate, my grandmother ate and my great grandmother ate.

I think the other reason I’m so excited is just because I didn’t make it this far with Lala last year. It was the beginning of a very sad and disappointed time. I was planning on going to the Black Friday sales, but ended up buying toys for Lala that are still sitting in the closet – and the thought that they will be given this year is thrilling. Not only those presents, but stockings and cookies… oh yeah. I’m a little excited.

0 Talk To Me!:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails