It’s been somewhat of a grading frenzy at work for the past few days, not to mention the other hundred things that have to done, so I took a little break. I decided to take a look at houses for sale in the area. It’s actually pretty reassuring that my purchase was a good one as I look at all the other crappy houses for sale or for rent. The quality of housing around here is, well… not fit for HGTV. More like Extreme Home Make-Over. I still remember the “Museum of Carpet” house I toured five years ago. Each room (including the bathroom) had a different color and style of carpet. And the ever present wood paneling. Big kitchen – carpeted in navy blue, but I digress.
While perusing, I found a house that could be perfect. Of course, it was on the internet, so it could be a perfect nightmare.
On the plus side:
- 1. it’s on two acres, out in the country. Very rural.
- 2. it’s next door to my cousin
- 3. it’s a price I can afford
- 4. it’s go two bathrooms!
- 5. the school district not only boasts 100% of students passing state assessments, but the kids would be in a class of probably 5.
On the negative side:
1. I’m calling it the “goat house” – because a previous owner kept goats… in the house. Someone else bought the house from the goat family… maybe they fixed it up and maybe they did not. Also, goat family lives on the other side of the property.
2. it’s 30 minute drive into town. 40 minutes to my job. On a twisty, not always safe road. Right now my commute is about 10 minutes. On a state highway.
3. it’s rural and subject to all that comes with it… like a septic tank, water well, wild animals, electrical outages, no cable! (jk)
4. it would be tons of work. Even if the house is in great condition, there is still a lot of maintenance. Six times the amount of lawn to mow, fences to be mended, trees, painting… There are weeks like this one where it’s hard to stay on top of the dishes, let alone get up in the morning to feed the chickens or spending the day trying to mow the lawn.
5. single mom, with toddlers out in the country?!? does it not sound utterly crazy?
And let’s not even get into the real estate market for homes like the one I currently own. Or that it’s possible that I will be RIF’d this spring. Or that Lala may have surgery coming up. A major part of me says that a house in the country is just some far flung dream and it’s completely unrealistic (I know my parents are reading this with heart palpitations), but the other part says, “this may be your big chance!”
I’m guessing that tomorrow I will have a doozy of a story of how bad it is. I will take photos of the goats.
Don’t forget about the CSN $50 giveaway! Click here to enter! Contest is open until January 28th!

0 Talk To Me!:
Post a Comment